The key changes to the regulations are:
- payment of deferred benefits at age 55 for members who stopped paying in to the Scheme before 1 April 1998 and have not yet reached age 55
- payment of deferred benefits from age 55 for members who stopped paying in to the Scheme between 1 April 1998 and 31 March 2014 without their employer’s consent
- alignment of Additional Voluntary Contribution (AVC) contracts taken out before 2014 with those taken out after 2014
- calculation of Assumed Pensionable Pay (APP). An employer can substitute a higher figure for APP if it is lower than what the member would receive if they were at work
- expansion of the underpin to those who transfer membership from another public service pension scheme.
There are several other amendments made to clarify regulations and confirm policy intention. View the full Local Government Pension Scheme (Amendment) Regulations 2018. The LGPS amendment regulations came into force on 14 May 2018 but the provisions listed in regulation 1(3) have effect from 1 April 2014. The regulations amend the LGPS Regulations 2013 [SI 2013/2356] and the LGPS (Transitional Provisions, Savings and Amendment) Regulations 2014 [SI 2014/525].