Skip to content

PPS divorce and dissolution process

You will need specific information about your Police Pension Scheme benefits as part of the proceedings for:

  • a divorce
  • judicial separation or nullity of marriage, or for
  • dissolution, separation or nullity of a civil partnership.

You should complete the PPS Request for pension information for divorce proceedings form for this information, including an estimate of the cash equivalent value (CEV) of your pension rights. The Court will take this value into account in your settlement.

You usually get one free CEV estimate each year. Any other costs for supplying information or complying with a Court Order will be recovered from you and/or your ex-spouse or ex-civil partner.

All correspondence received by us in connection with divorce or dissolution proceedings will be acknowledged in writing within 20 working days. If no acknowledgement is received, you should contact us to ensure that your correspondence has been received. Please note that the process to provide a CEV estimate can take up to 3 months.

The Court may offset the value of your pension rights against your other assets in the divorce/dissolution settlement or it may issue a Pension Sharing Order or an Earmarking Order against your pension.