Skip to content

Someone else managing your financial affairs

You may find yourself in a situation where you need someone else to manage your financial affairs for you. You can do this by arranging for a legal document to be drawn up called a Power of Attorney. This allows one person (the 'Donor') to give another person (the 'Attorney') the power to act on their behalf regarding their finances.

If you want someone to look after your financial affairs for a period of time because you have a physical injury or you are abroad you can give someone an Ordinary Power of Attorney (also known as a General Power of Attorney).

However, an Ordinary Power of Attorney is not suitable if you need someone to manage your affairs after you have lost the mental capacity to act on your own behalf. Under these circumstances, it may be more appropriate to use a Lasting Power of Attorney.

A Lasting Power of Attorney is a legal document which allows you to appoint someone that you trust to make decisions on your behalf when you lack the mental capacity to do so. The Lasting Power of Attorney can not be used until it is registered with The Public Guardian.

If you lose mental capacity and you have not completed a Lasting Power of Attorney already, other people may need to apply to the Court of Protection in order to be able to make decisions on your behalf.

If you want to grant a power of attorney, you should contact a solicitor or an experienced adviser. You can find further information from the Citizens Advice Bureau website