Skip to content

PPS 2006 unmarried partner

An unmarried partner who is not a civil partner is someone with whom you have a long-term relationship but to whom you are not married (if you are of opposite sexes) or with whom you have not formed a civil partnership (if you are of the same sex).

If you have no spouse or civil partner, it may be possible for a survivor's pension to be paid for life to your partner on the same basis as if they had been your spouse or civil partner. This is not automatic. For a pension to be payable, you and your partner must confirm that all of the following criteria apply:

  • you have lived together for a period during which your partner has been financially dependent on you, or both of you have been financially interdependent,
  • the relationship is a committed relationship intended to continue indefinitely,
  • you each have mutual responsibility for the other's welfare,
  • you are free to marry each other (if you and your partner are of opposite sexes) or free to form a civil partnership (if you are of the same sex) and neither of you is married or a civil partner or nominated as the partner of anyone else, and
  • you agree to contact us if the relationship ends.

On your death, we will ask your partner to complete a form to confirm that the statements in the joint declaration are still valid at the time of death before any benefits may be paid to your partner. We may also ask for supporting information to confirm financial dependency, such as confirmation of shared household spending or shared bank accounts.

A period of cohabitation of at least 2 years is expected for a pension to be paid to a declared partner, but Kent Police may exercise discretion to pay a pension to a declared partner in a shorter relationship.

If your declared partner is more than 12 years younger than you, their pension will be reduced to reflect the age difference. This reduction will be 2.5% for every year or part of a year over 12 years, up to a maximum reduction of 50%.

Complete a Pension for partners – declaration form (PDF, 232.9 KB) with your partner as soon as you consider that your cohabiting relationship is exclusive, committed and for the long-term. It is your responsibility to ensure that the information in the declaration is kept up to date. This is no longer a legal requirement. We can award a pension to your partner without a completed form providing they meet the criteria above.