Skip to content

Help and complaints


If you cannot find the information that you are looking for then please complete our online enquiry form.

Making a complaint

There may be times when you are unhappy with the service you get, or you disagree with a decision that has been made about your membership or benefits.

Some decisions about your pension are the responsibility of your employer, for example, the contribution rate you pay and your entitlement to benefits.  We process the information given by your employer, calculate and pay your benefits under the Local Government Pension Scheme Regulations.

Contact us if you have a query or complaint.

If you are not satisfied, you have the right to formally complain under the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP).  You must make a complaint or appeal any decision within 6 months of the act or omissions about which you are complaining or notification of the decision.

Making a formal complaint under the IDRP

The process

Stage 1
Your complaint is considered by an adjudicator nominated by your employer and Kent Pension Fund.

Stage 2
Your complaint is considered by the Kent Pension Funds Pension Manager.

If you remain dissatisfied after stage 2 the dispute can be referred to the Pensions Ombudsman, after having consulted The Pensions Advisory Service. The Pensions Ombudsman will provide a 'final and binding' determination.

No charge is made at any stage for investigating a complaint but expenses you may have to meet are your own, for example stationery and postage.

Further detailed information can be found in the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP) guide (PDF, 332.2 KB).

Organisations who can help

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)

Available at any time during the complaints process to assist members and beneficiaries of the Scheme with any pension query or difficulty which they cannot resolve with us. They have volunteer advisers who are experienced pension professionals and provide this service free of charge. Read more on the Pensions Advisory Service website.

The Pensions Ombudsman

An independent and impartial organisation set up by law to help if you have a complaint about a pension scheme or pension plan.  The Ombudsman can make decisions that are ‘final and binding’ on you and the organisation you are complaining about. Before they deal with your complaint you must first have tried to resolve it through IDRP and have consulted the Pensions Advisory Service.  Any complaint must be made within 3 years of when the event happened however, there is a discretion for those time limits to be extended. This is a free service and you can read more information on the Pension Ombudsman website.

The Pensions Regulator

The regulator of UK work-based pension schemes, make sure pension schemes are adequately funded and run in the best interests of retirement savers. They ensure employers meet their obligations by enrolling staff into a pension scheme and making contributions. Read more about The Pensions Regulator.